Wednesday 5 October 2011

Dues Ex - The Human Revolution (May contain spoilers)

So I decided to take it upon myself to give a brief review on Dues Ex - The Human Revolution. I recall a time long ago when I was a lot younger probably about 13 or 14 when I played the very first Dues Ex game and I guess at that age it was difficult to fully appreciate the complexity of an FPS/RPG of that type at the time (with all the augmentations and the like) yet somehow it still appealed to me. So naturally I was particularly excited when I heard about the newest installment of Dues Ex.

Badass Adam Jensen is badass
I will start by saying that I went ahead and purchased the Augmented edition of the game which basically features bonus content, the soundtrack and some pretty cool comics based on the Dues Ex world, I reckon it was a fairly good investment based on the amount of bonus content it provided. The game is set in the year 2027 and essentially you begin your journey as Adam Jensen who is basically assigned the role of security chief to one of the most prestigious augmentation research companies, Sarif industries. He is a normal human without any augmentations but due to certain events it was necessary for him to be equipped and rebuilt with said augmentations. As far as protagonists Adam Jensen seems like a proverbial badass with the shades but does the job of standing up for justice quite effectively.

In Dues Ex you get an inventory system where you can pick up various items to help make you more effective against your enemies. One thing to note however is that it is generally a very bad idea to run out guns blazing which leads me to categorize this with games such as Hitman and Splinter Cell. I personally was not such a big fan of the latter but that boils down to personal choice and whether you enjoy stealth based games. However in Dues Ex's case I felt it was a refreshing experience as I am a big fan of RPG's and I guess the leveling up skills aspect was a nice touch. You require praxis kits to level up your skills and essentially make you more of a nightmare for your foes, I found that one area that I guess could have been improved was the amount of energy you have and how quickly it gets used up. I suppose people might critisize that and say that it would be much too imbalanced to have it drain more slowly but you really have to think on your toes and plan what you're going to do before for instance activating stealth although I suppose that is where the challenge lies :)

Jensen will stop at nothing to satisfy his hacking addiction
I found the weapons to be quite diverse although still following a sort of linear trend with a lot of FPS games these days. You are able to obtain a shotgun, 10mm pistol, revolvers, sniper rifles and various other guns. I found myself using my 10mm for the majority of the time as I had upgraded it with various weapon upgrade kits that I had found and essentially it became pretty formidable even against some of the more armored foes. Something I really liked about Dues Ex was the cool hacking system that they added into the game. I tried my best to hack into every in game pc I could find as some of the emails were quite humorous and it made me feel pretty immersed in the game.

There was one particular moment that I felt really awesome about when I played and I had to basically bolt for a door because there really were no alternatives, as the room was swarming with enemies and there were no stealthy escapes save a vent a couple of meters away from the the exit point. So basically what I did was I used stealth and at that time I hadn't upgraded my energy cell quantity so it ran out very quickly, they spotted me and bullets were flying overhead yet I managed to dodge every one of them but essentially it made me feel very heroic and I give the game even more credit for evoking that emotion in me haha ;P 

Do you feel lucky?
Dues Ex actually surprised me in how long it was and I guarantee you'll enjoy the amount of playtime you get especially if you do a lot of the side quests which I found quite entertaining. Of course if you're looking for an RPG where your choices regarding dialogue involve serious consequences for your characters moral alignment or the game world and where you get to experience how people perceive you because of it, Dues Ex will likely not be for you. However there is one choice which I will not disclose here due to it being a massive spoiler that determines a specific outcome in the game.

All in though I must say Dues Ex - The Human Revolution is a solid FPS with an amazing soundtrack and although boss fights may be a little easy I found the game as a whole to be very entertaining lengthy and engrossing.

No comments:

Post a Comment